Friday, November 23, 2007

Inspiration

I absolutely love my job as a graphic designer...sometimes as I'm sketching ideas for a new logo or poster, I pinch myself because my job is just. so. COOL! I truly feel like one of the lucky and privileged because my work doesn't feel like work.

But just because I love my job doesn't mean I don't have bad days...sometimes I just don't feel creative, or I am feeling drained, or I don't want to work on a particular project...any number of things can happen which cause me to feel like the inspiration well has dried up. In moments like these, I've learned that it's a good idea to turn to books, magazines, websites...any sort of visual stimulation that will get the ideas flowing. In the past few weeks, I've run across two designers, both women, both extraordinary. Check it out...you won't be sorry.

First off, Tauba Auerbach. I have to warn you that her website is kinda...harsh on the eyes. But click through to her work: http://www.taubaauerbach.com/works.html. Maybe it's because I am a type nerd, but her work is just so lovely to me. Most of it is ink or pencil on paper, and in some way relates to type. I mean, how can you not love this, her study of the letter K:



Or this, which is the entire alphabet, broken down into strokes:



Or this piece, which is composed of 10,000 pieces of cut letters on paper:



I mean, WOW.

Courtney Skott is a furniture designer; she actually went to my school and I first encountered her work when she won the annual Ronald & Anita Wornick award (a scholarship that is awarded to two student furniture designers every year). The following piece is one of those things you just never forget once you see it:





Yeah, that's right...they are little tree stools with zip-up bark jackets. Brilliant!!!

I also really love this piece, her thesis project. It is an alcove bed and the pattern is a pixelated image of clouds.



It is absolutely insane how she made this...you can see a step-by-step of her process on her Flickr set.

Check out some more of her work here: http://courtneyskott.com

Thanks for the inspiration, ladies!

1 comment:

keith said...

HELLO HOW ARE YOU I SEE THIS DESIGN IS AMAZING I REALLY NEED THIS LOGO IM WILLING TO COUGH UP SOME DOLLARS TO HAVE RIGHTS TO IT PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP MY NAME IS KEITH TAYLOR YOU CAN REACH ME AT MY OTHER EMAIL KEITHTAYLOR777@AOL.COM ARE EVEN GIVE ME A CALL 8565245985 ARE EVEN 8566254631 IF ANYTHING LEAVE A MESSAGE AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY