Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Vamos a Oaxaca

I don't have much to report today (Sunday), as we were on a bus all day. The buses here in Mexico City are sold by class, and you can get first class, super first class, and super duper first class tickets. We got super first class tickets and I am happy to report that the ride was very comfortable (though it would have been a nightmare for those of you that get carsick, as the roads are not well paved here). One thing of interest is that when you buy the super first class ticket, you get a bottle of water, a soda, a tea bag, a pair of headphones, and anti-diarrhea pills. I guess that's all you really need for a 6 hour bus trip!

IMG_8004.JPG

I tried at times to imagine that we were driving through California instead of the Mexican countryside, and I was more successful at some places than others. At some point, we began to see large, very straight cacti sprinkled throughout the countryside, which made it impossible to imaging that the landscape was in California, as it was so different than anything else back in the States.

I ended up napping towards the end of the trip, and I didn't wake up until we pulled into the bus station in Oaxaca. All of a sudden, I felt really anxious that I had to learn all the little things over again: where the corner store was, how the city was laid out, etc. I had just gotten the hang of things in Mexico City and I was going to have to do it all over again in Oaxaca. It was weird and very unexpected because usually I love exploring a new city, a new place. I blame it on the fact that I was asleep for the transitionary period between the countryside and the city.

We dropped our bags off at the house, which is located in the northern area of Oaxaca City and is big, beautiful, and all white. Raul loves white. We are sleeping three to a room and I'm bunking with Adrien and a gal named Katy who is a grad student in sculpture. I am pretty happy with the sleeping situation, as I would have had a hard time rooming with certain others in the group. We're also pretty lucky because we have the only room with a bathroom attached. Everyone else has to share a bathroom in the hall. There is a big, gorgeous back yard and a deck. Also, Walter, Raul and Michael's dog, is hanging out with us, and there are two beautiful little white kitties that live at the house.

The Kitties:
IMG_8083.JPG

Walter:
IMG_8185.JPG

That night, we went out to eat at a local restaurant called El Topil and I tasted mezcal for the first time. Mezcal is a local alcoholic drink that is like tequila, but it is filtered differently. Sort of like the difference between cachaca and rum. It tastes a little smokier than tequila, but I like it! Supposedly, it doesn't give you a hangover but you have weird dreams all night long. Well, I can attest to that...I went to bed with a stomach burning with mezcal and slept fitfully because I was afraid of the mosquitos. Also, at about 4AM, a bunch of fireworks went off because it is guelagetza time right now. I had strange dreams all night long, but, true to rumor, I did not wake up with a hangover. :)

No comments: